Orthodontics is not just for children and teens! In fact, 1 in every 4 patients in orthodontic treatment is an adult. No one is too old for orthodontic treatment.
Adults seek orthodontic treatment for many of the same reasons as children do. Some adults had orthodontic problems as children, but were unable to correct them until now. Others, who had treatment as children, may need further treatment as adults due to relapse or limitations in initial treatment. Or some may simply want to improve their smile.
Benefits of Adult Orthodontics
Adults can benefit from orthodontic treatment in many ways. These include:
- Correct relapse after previous orthodontic treatment due to lack of long term retainer wear
- Improve the ability to brush and floss, especially for crowded or overlapping lower front teeth
- Create a better or more comfortable bite and ability to chew
- Address missing teeth
- Close spaces between the teeth
- Reduce excessive wear on the teeth due to grinding or poor bite
- Jaw surgery to correct discrepancy between the upper and lower jaws
- Align the teeth to create a more esthetic and beautiful smile. Sometimes dentists can not do the veneers or crowns that are needed to make the individual teeth look better because the bite is so bad or severe. Orthodontics is used to give the proper bite and set-up for a dentist to do their best work for the patient.
- Reduce and manage TMJ/TMD pain
- Address missing teeth. Orthodontics is used to straighten the teeth so bridges and implants can be placed.
Appearance of Braces
We offer clear upper braces to meet the individual needs and desires of each of our adult patients. From traditional braces to advanced technology, we are confident we can help you achieve and maintain the beautiful, healthy smile you’ve always dreamed about. During your initial consultation, the doctors will discuss whether Invisalign is a good option for you.
Soreness and Discomfort
Typically, the teeth are most uncomfortable 12-24 hours after an orthodontic adjustment and will disappear within 3 to 5 days. Modern appliances are smaller and more comfortable to wear. Due to innovations in orthodontics and the use of titanium less pressure is put on the teeth. In fact, most adults are surprised how their teeth aren’t as sore as they expected them to be. Bite and alignment are actually corrected faster and with much less discomfort this way. It also decreases the time required between adjustments to every 4 – 6 weeks.
The fee for adult orthodontic treatment is determined the same way as child or adolescent treatment. It is based on the severity of the problem, the complexity of the correction, the appliances used and the length of time to correct.
Treat Yourself to the Smile you Deserve!
Dr. Hillarie Ryann Hudson or Dr. J. Michael Hudson have many adult patients that range from 50 to even over 80 years old. Don’t ever feel it’s too late to achieve the smile you have always wanted! Thankfully, age means nothing in orthodontics. Schedule your appointment today!